Asbestos - is my property safe?

Updated: Apr 14

If you’re looking at buying or renovating a property built between the 1940’s and 1980’s then there’s a good chance that it contains some Asbestos. But what is this product people keep mentioning, and how do we get rid of it?



According to the Ministry of Health, asbestos is a fibrous material made up of a naturally occurring mineral. These fibres are very strong and are highly resistant to heat, fire, chemicals and wear.

Before the 1980s, when it was discovered to be dangerous to health, it was used widely in building projects due to its strength, fire-proof and insulating properties.


If the material containing Asbestos breaks, crumbles or isn’t handled right it will release fibres into the air. It takes just one of these fibres to be inhaled to contribute towards Asbestosis, mesothelioma or lung cancer. Although Asbestos isn’t in use anymore, it’s still found in a wide range of materials already in your home including floor tiles, lino, roof shingles, textured paint, ceiling coatings, pipes and building boards to name a few.


There is NO SAFE minimum level of asbestos in a house, and it requires a professional to remove it. But that's why QSPlus is here. We can assess your property and let you know whether asbestos is present. We can then refer you on to a qualified and trustworthy tradesman to have the asbestos removed.



© 2020 by QSPlus

Proudly servicing the Waikato and Bay of Plenty.

  • Black LinkedIn Icon
  • Black Facebook Icon

Internationally accredited member of

QSPlus are fully insured for your peace of mind